Explore beyond the surface and learn deeply about this place
We are a bridge: a secure way for you to explore your surroundings with your own guide, including everything from historical and cultural sites, to street markets and graffiti… always with our accompaniment and support.
All our tours are private, just you and your guide. We design the route together, according to your interests. The guide meets you at your hotel or home, at whatever time we decide together.
IN MEXICO CITY
- Visit principal historical, artistic and cultural sites with a guide expert in anthropology, art, architecture and history. Our guides speak excellent English, accompany you at all times, and never waste your time trying to get you to buy things.
- Walk the streets, use public transport, learn how to navigate the city on your own. Visit markets and neighborhoods, get a sense of how common people live.
- Take a cooking class with a woman from a low-income neighborhood: go to the market together, prepare a lunch of your choice and have a great meal together!
- Visit nearby villages, meet highest-quality artisans and receive demonstrations. Note: these are guided visits to the homes of craftsmen, most of whom do not normally receive tourists.Have market and street food tours
- Get to know the vibrant local art scene
- Have a private cooking class or visit archeological sites with an expert.
- Join us in a small group (10 or fewer people) where you will have a Journeys Beyond the Surface tour leader as well as our own local English-speaking guide and vans. Our local contact is licensed by the government and has decades of experience leading tours in Iran. US, Canadian and British citizens welcome!
- Visit cities such as Shiraz, Isfahan, Yazd, Tehran. Possibly include visits to rural areas or tribal villages.
- Visit historical and art sites in each place, but also get to know contemporary life by visiting food markets, trying street food, exploring public parks and other places where the local population spend their free time, with opportunities to interact with them and with translation support. We aim to go beyond the surface in a safe and respectful way, everywhere we go!
We want you to learn as much as possible about these places that we love and call home
Journeys Beyond the Surface is recommended in Lonely Planet’s Guides to Mexico and Mexico City, the National Geographic Traveler guide to Mexico (3rd Edition) and TripAdvisor, among others.